Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Aug 27, 2011- Antelope Dash

Here's a mini-race report for the Antelope Dash that I ran this morning. It's an 8 mile race up at Curt Gowdy. Finished in 2:05:21. Here is my story.... kinda.......

~3min on, 2min off. Walked most of first half (Mo'Rocka trail). Had a hard time going, and that first half was too much uphill and too technical for me to really get myself going. Got my ass kicked by a wasp within the first 20 minutes. Came out of nowhere and stung me in the back of the head. Apparently got the guy a couple minutes ahead of me as well. First time running with my pack and food since the Trudge. Wasn't sitting too well... I normally like the shot blocks, but they were way too sticky for me today. Towards the end of the first half, I got tired of the sweeper riding my ass, and I began Operation I Don't Wanna Be DFL. Started going faster than I should have. Caught two folks and then cooled it a bit. Now, there ain't nothing wrong with being DFL.... someone has to do it. But my ego and my competetive spirit gets real pissy when it's me, so I pushed harder than I should have to avoid that.

I use to be an explorer like you once... then I took a wasp to the head.


Got "lost" on the second half. I forgot that 8milers also do Ignoraneos Loop, so I was going harder than I should have going into that. And then I forgot how much Ignoraneos meanders through the woods, so I went harder than I should have thinking it was shorter than it was. By the time I was on the real home stretch, I was too tired to do my normal kick (on account of kicking way too early way too many times previously). Passed one more guy, which was good for Operation IDWBDFL because the two people I previously passed were either took a wrong turn or dropped out because they finished ahead of me. Finished 9 minutes slower than last year, probably on account of me being stupid this go through. Good race, but I'm pooped. And the back of my head hurts. My ankles never bothered me though.

Finishing

No comments:

Post a Comment